Let's Analyze Firmware Files With Binwalk

Gauloran

Moderasyon Ekibi Lideri
7 Tem 2013
Hello,

In this topic, we will analyze firmware files with Binwalk. Binwalk is a computer forensics tool. Let's get start

What does Binwalk Do?

Binkwalk can analyze hexadecimal values in a firmware file. We can detect and analyze the linked files. The information that we found after an analysis can be presented as judicial evidence in court.

What is Firmware?

It is software that specifies the functions of peripheral hardware units and ensures that these functions are performed properly. They can be found in electronic devices such as MP3 players, modems, printers. They don't change except for various updates.

Firmware Analysis With Binwalk

Of course we must have a firmware file before the analysis process. You can download these firmware files from the internet to learn the software practically. I will use a firmware file that I found on the internet.

Binwalk is a tool that comes pre-installed on linux systems. For this reason, we can proceed directly to our operations without installation. Let's view the parameters that can be used with Binwalk.

Kod:
binwalk -h

yfA2L2.png

Now, we learned our parameters. We can proceed to analysis. I specify the file that I will analyze and start the analysis process by typing this command:

Kod:
binwalk file/path/file_name.bin

1yexIc.png

We see that the file system points to "1147023". When we look at the description, we can see that this address has specified the squashfs file system. So, we will try to extract the squashfs file system from the firmware.

The dd tool will enable us to extract the file system that we specified from the firmware.

"if" : We specify our firmware with the if parameter.

"of" : We specify the new file to be crated with this parameter.

"skip" : We specify the address indicated by the file system with this parameter.

"bs" : We specify the block size value of the file with bs parameter. We need to give this value as 1 because the file should be read properly.

Kod:
dd if=firmware/file/path/file_name.bin of=output/path/file_name skip=1147023 bs=1

eI5A5A.png

After the process is successfully completed our output file will be created in the locati0n that we specified. We can confirm the accuracy of the process. For this, type this command:

Kod:
binwalk file/path/file_name

32xc6T.png

As you can see, the address of the "test.squasshfs" file that we extracted shows "0". That means the operation completed successfully. The information in our file is complex. So we will make it readable. We can use the unsquashfs tool for this. Before installing the tool, let's install a few packages for our tool to use.

Kod:
apt-get install liblzma-dev
Kod:
apt-get install subversion
Kod:
apt-get install zlib1g-dev
Kod:
apt-get install build-essential

After installing the packages, we install our tool with this command:

Kod:
apt-get install squashfs-tools

After the installation, we ensure that the information in our file becomes readable with the unsquashfs tool.

Kod:
unsquashfs -i file/path/file_name

WfaI4x.png

After this, a new directory (squashfs-root) will be created. Let's go the new directory with this command:

Kod:
cd ./squashfs-root/

16xJf5.png

Let's view the files and folders in the directory:

Kod:
ls

Wa9Kdb.png

We have viewed the content of the file system. So we can get information about the firmware file that we analyzed under the squashfs-root directory. We can also access this directory under the root directory and view the files instead of accessing it from the terminal.

7Cyz5I.png

Thanks!

Source: https://www.turkhackteam.org/adli-b...yalarini-binwalk-araci-ile-analiz-edelim.html

Translator dRose98

q5yU9e.png

Moderatör tarafında düzenlendi:
Üst

Turkhackteam.org internet sitesi 5651 sayılı kanun’un 2. maddesinin 1. fıkrasının m) bendi ile aynı kanunun 5. maddesi kapsamında "Yer Sağlayıcı" konumundadır. İçerikler ön onay olmaksızın tamamen kullanıcılar tarafından oluşturulmaktadır. Turkhackteam.org; Yer sağlayıcı olarak, kullanıcılar tarafından oluşturulan içeriği ya da hukuka aykırı paylaşımı kontrol etmekle ya da araştırmakla yükümlü değildir. Türkhackteam saldırı timleri Türk sitelerine hiçbir zararlı faaliyette bulunmaz. Türkhackteam üyelerinin yaptığı bireysel hack faaliyetlerinden Türkhackteam sorumlu değildir. Sitelerinize Türkhackteam ismi kullanılarak hack faaliyetinde bulunulursa, site-sunucu erişim loglarından bu faaliyeti gerçekleştiren ip adresini tespit edip diğer kanıtlarla birlikte savcılığa suç duyurusunda bulununuz.